Well, yesterday was a busy day for me just immersing myself in the world of 3D printing. I want to keep this post short so I have more time to actually do more 3D printer stuff and maybe kick back on my remaining day off from work!
- I called Makerbot about my heater error.
- They emailed me instructions for checking the thermocouple connections to the circuit board inside the printer.
- I followed the instructions (I want to do a detailed post on this later).
- It seemed to work… for a while…
- I printed a 2nd Mr. Jaws for my nephews in Red ABS plastic. It printed nicely.
- A little later the error message popped up again. Grrrrr!
- I called Makerbot Support again and told them my woe.
- They are sending me a new thermocouple cable free of charge. It will take a few days to get here (for fast shipping I would have to had to pay).
- The thermocouple that is acting bad is for the right extruder.
- In the mean time, I have not actually used the left extruder yet so I decided to start messing around with that!
- While I had tech support on the phone I had a mess of questions I wanted answered in my notebook. I asked those questions (and two or three more) and built up my knowledge base quite a bit! There is still so much to learn! BTW, I did not feel rushed by the support person (I felt more rushed by myself)!
- I hope to write other posts regarding the information I found out about on that call.
- I picked another object out on Thingiverse to print in Natural ABS plastic (white). Its called Melting Ball in a Cage (thing:62856).
- If you look at a picture of this thing it probably should have been called Ball in a Melting Cage!
- It was printed in white PLA. I have white ABS. How hard could this be?
- Even after leveling the build platform carefully I am having a hard time:
- Even printing the raft.
- Getting the plastic to consistently come out of the extruder!
- The white ABS seems a bit runny.
- The first thing I want to do today is try the print again with a lower temp on the extruder and see if that helps.
Wish me luck!